When designing kitchens we all tend to focus on finishes and appliances and the look of the kitchen while often overlooking small details that can have an enormous impact on how functional the kitchen is in the long term. Here are 5 quick tips to remember when planning your new kitchen:
1. Locate powerpoints in the cupboards The trend these days is for clear benchtops and to store your appliances away in cupboards. Yet many people forget to locate powerpoints in the appliance cupboards, so that they can actually be used in-situ and without your having to carry them to the powerpoints over the benches.
2. Dishwasher location Locating the dishwasher can often be an afterthought. However, as it’s an appliance that you will use several times a day, it’s vital that you plan carefully. Ideally, you should place the dishwasher near the sink to save on plumbing costs. Also make sure that your dishwasher can be accessed from both sides when open, so don’t place it next to a wall.
3. Provide adequate lighting Kitchen lighting requires a combination of ceiling lights, under-cabinet lights and task lights. Use ceiling lights to light the room generally; pendant or task lights to focus light over food preparation areas, the sink and the cooktop; and undercabinet lighting to light the benches. Also be aware of casting shadows over work areas.
4. Leave enough space between benches Ideally leave 1.2m between benches and islands. This will allow more than one person to use the kitchen at a time and prevent the space from feeling cramped. In a very tight space the minimum space you should leave is 1m. Leave too much space and the kitchen becomes impractical.
5. Include a breakfast bar overhang Breakfast bars are the perfect way to increase the flexibility of your kitchen. By adding an overhang a bench becomes a table that can be used for meals, kid’s homework space and a perfect spot for friends to sit and chat while you’re cooking. The overhang can be between 30 to 50cm to ensure that there is enough legroom.
With tailored, step-by-step guidance, it's simple to start the process of designing your Perfect Home. We will work with you to create exactly what you want, in the shortest time-frame and of the highest quality. Whatever you need we are ready to help you, because everybody deserves a beautiful home.